Episode #50: "Fake-squiat" June 3, 2022
Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
- Two show announcements!
- Storage Whores
- We see dead people
- 00:10 - Merchandise but no Anniversary Show
- 01:10 - James and Catherine are aliens
- 01:25 - New SubRant TikTok!
- 01:45 - Online video editing software
- 02:30 - Fake til proven Basquiat?
- 03:05 - "Chain of Custody" and "Players"
- Basquiat - (deceased) Artist
- Larry Gagosian - Art dealer
- Thad Mumford - (deceased) Screenwriter, 1st owner
- Storage Unit -Unpaid x30 years
- William Force - Art/antiquities dealer, 2nd owner
- Lee Mangan - Retired salesman, 2nd owner
- Pierce O'Donnell - Lawyer, purchased interest in 6/25 pieces
- "Mumford's Poem" - Taped on dot-matrix printer paper
- Lindon Leader - Brand expert, FedEx logo designer
- Diego Cortez - (deceased) Basquiat Estate Authentication Committee (deceased - disbanded 2012) member
- Jordanna Moore Saggese - Author "Reading Basquiat: Exploring Ambivalence in American Art".
- Aaron De Groft - Director & CEO, Orlando Museum of Art
- Cynthia Brumback - Board Chair, Orlando Museum of Art
- 06:50 - Trying hard for that "place in time"
- 07:30 - "One Last Heist" coming soon to a theatre near you! Or, "Ocean's Fail"
- 09:05 - Chasing the antiquity dragon
- 10:30 - Perusing the "Cardboard Collection" (video)
- 11:30 - Provenance (and asking questions) is "off-limits" in Orlando
- 12:34 - "Sometimes, you shouldn't attribute to malice what can be attributed to incompetence"
- 13:30 - Orlando, unhinged!
- 14:15 - Traumatically trapped in Orlando elevator!
- 14:52 - "Heroes and Monsters" - John Michel Basquiat
- 15:40 - A "stooge" for with good intentions, or just a stooge?
- 16:45 - James has a list of critiques
- 18:02 - Just say "these works may or may not be authentic"
- 18:21 - Having fun? Spending money? Who cares if it's real or not!
- 19:00 - Back to the "in-the-style-adjacent" artwork
- 20:30 - Achieving layering within a "visual collage"
- 21:00 - Deconstructing Basquiat, again!
- 23:03 - It's ghoulish to use dead people to authenticate your fakes
- 24:55 - The Mystery of the 1994 FedEx Logo
- 27:05 - "Handwriting analysis and poems don't authenticate artworks"
- 28:20 - Back to Banksy's Instagram archive and end