Episode #14: Forgeries September 10, 2021
Listen on: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | RSS
- 01:29- "Joining Plastic, Glass, and Metal On the Recycle List: Fake Art" (NY Times paywall)
- 01:35 - It's not about recycling
- 01:50 - Commas trigger James
- 02:15 - Pretentious words trigger James
- 03:25 - Art world vs elites vs the masses
- 03:36 - Language as a weapon?
- 03:45 - Catherine sums article up in seconds, but they will talk about it for 20 minutes
- 04:00 - Most of the fake art is not destroyed
- 04:10 - The only recycling is that fake pieces keep showing up for sale and authentication
- 04:15 - If everyone is upset about forgeries, just destroy them!
- 04:30 - Catalogues of fakes as teaching tools
- 04:45 - If a piece has merits, does the author really matter?
- 04:56 - "Tyranny of authorship"
- 05:40 - Celebrate the work, not the author
- 06:28 - Forged pieces are stamped, retained, and potentially resurface in art world
- 07:58 - Deconstructing authentication
- 08:54 - The case of the "thrift store Pollack"
- 09:44 - It's a sleazy market
- 10:00 - Once a forgery, always a forgery?
- 10:55 - Bad stamp
- 11:30 - James holds back re: Damien Hirst
- 12:23 - Digression about makers' marks
- 13:54 - The found piece will not be destroyed
- 14:20 - Catherine has a knack!
- 15:12 - Unanswered questions
- 15:55 - Who authenticates the authenticator?
- 17:00 - James proposes a "forgery registry", Catherine suggests putting a notch in it!
- 19:12 - James approves NY Times web design
- 20:10 - What bikinis?
- 21:50 - Both Chagall's in article are forgeries
- 23:05 - Just didn't get any vibes
- 23:45 - Catherine proposes recycling ideas
- 25:00 - Authenticator's opposing specialties: Egon Schiele vs Grandma Moses
- 26:17 - Deconstructing the term "Folk Art"
- 27:00 - The genius of Grandma Moses
- 28:27 - Villeroy & Boch "Naif" pattern
- 29:00 - The term Folk Art is purely marketing
- 30:00 - Again, the work must stand on its own
- 30:12 - Training does not beget great work
- 31:50 - "Craft" is legit
- 32:25 - Catherine "paints" with fibers
- 32:43 - Affirmation is great
- 33:45 - Was this an angry podcast?
- 34:05 - Next week, Louise Nevelson and a discussion of "recycling" in art